History of Middletown Fire Protection District
Members of the Middletown Civic Club founded the Middletown Volunteer Fire Department in 1940. The first fire engine cost $3,270.00 and was paid for when members personally guaranteed the payment and raised money through fundraisers.
The engine was housed in a garage on the corner of
Tucker Station Roadand Wayside Avenue. From there it was moved to a storage garage of a Ford auto dealership, owned by the Handcock and Slatterly families on the corner of Madison Avenue and Shelbyville Road. In 1944, the Civic Club donated property at 115 Madison Avenueto build the first firehouse. The Fehr Brewing Company and Falls City Brewing Company were substantial contributors to the building fund. In 1948 the department moved into the fire-police headquarters on U.S. 60, which had been vacated by the Jefferson County Police Department
December 4, 1967the Middletown Volunteer Fire Department was dissolved and the Middletown FireProtection District was formed under KRS 75.010
In 1974 as the population of the fire district grew, a second station was built on
Shelbyville Roadin the Dorsey Lanearea. And in 1998 a new station was built on Urton Laneand became the new Station One Headquarters.
Many people deserve credit for keeping the Fire Department going in the early years. Louis Langford, the longest serving volunteer, served actively for 31 1/2 years. Today, the staff has grown to 32 career firefighters and 25 volunteers, who still risk their lives, still make great contributions and seek no recognition. The trustees of
MFPDserve without pay.
The equipment used by
MFPDhas continually been upgraded. A 500 gallon-per-minute Ford pumper was purchased in 1950 and the employees built a third pumper in 1951. In 1964 another pumper was added with a much larger capacity, which cost $20,000. (In 1973, the Jaws of Life rescue tool was delivered and the rescue van was delivered and equipped with the rescue tools.) During the next 30 years, the District added to and upgraded equipment to assure state-of-the-art equipment needed to protect the lives and property of those who live in the District.
The leadership of the District has been impressive. Raymond "Toots" Herrick was elected Chief in 1944. Henry Riddle became Chief in 1953. He served until 1961 when Bob Martin was elected Chief. In 1983 John Bosler was elected Chief. He was followed by Fred McBride, who served from 1988-1990. Ronald C. Mingus was appointed Fire Chief/Administrator in 1990 and served for ten years. On
January 1, 2000, Donald G. Brooks was appointed Fire Chief/Administrator.
MFPDhas a rich history and a proud tradition. Its career employees, command staff, trustees and volunteers are proud of their ability to provide high quality fire protection service to the community that established and supports them.